Friday, November 21, 2008

"It's the Ghost Light!!!"

OK ... this is just funny. Last night, I was in the guest bedroom. During our addition, we had a ceiling fan installed in this room, and it's on a remote.

When I was leaving the room, I turned the fan off and the light off. I put the remote down and while I was exiting the room, the light came back on.

Weird.

I went back, looked at the fan (which was still slowing down from spinning) and turned the light off again, and stared at it. No light. OK, so I put down the remote and was leaving the room. Light back on. I whipped around and looked at it again. Light goes off ... then comes back on again.

Getting freaky.

I started to apply some logic ... perhaps there was a loose wire and the slowing motion of the fan was slightly wobbly and causing the wire to engage. While highly improbable, since the turning off should cut power to the fixture, it was the best I could come up with. I tapped the fan blades to slow it to a stop, and turned the light off again, and dropped the remote and ran into the kitchen.

This time, the light stayed off. OK ... mystery solved. But was it. I peered around the corner. As if a ceiling fan angel was playing a game with me ... the light comes back on.

Blimey!

So I step back in the room and wondered if there were strange electrical forces at play. About that time, Veda comes downstairs from Leah's new bedroom. I pointed to the fan, somewhat speechless. She said, "What?" I said, "The fan ... it's possessed." At that point, she began to laugh and said, "No wonder ... that explains it!"

[Confused look.]

"We were just experiencing the same thing in Leah's room, and could not figure out what was going on," she said. Ah-HAH! It was the battle of remotes, both still on the default codes from the manufacturer.

And there was much relief.

No comments: